It is easy and costs little (less than €200) to prepare a hotel for a customer in their electric car. The only thing required is a socket like the above (CEE 32A 5 pin red, also known as CETAC) a few meters from a parking space.
From the Twizzy to the Tesla Model S, any vehicle can recharge (with the right adapter – any driver going on tour should carry a variety – we at Drive & Dream can explain what are needed and how to make them).
To help interested hotels welcome electric car driving customers here is some practical advice:
1) We recommend preparing this socket (32A three-phase 5 pin 3+1+earth female – “CEE Socket 32A Ip44 5 pin” – “IEC60309”).
2) Optionally a 16A standard Schuko socket can be added to help low power electric car drivers who don’t have all the adapters.
3) Keep the distance to the distribution box as short as possible to avoid voltage drops during recharges.
4) We recommend putting the socket on a separate circuit where possible, and with a good earth connection (the car tests for this).
5) The parking space should be 5m x 2.2m for the Tesla Model S
6) Allow parking space reservations – number the recharge slots and inform the reservations team. This will provide the driver with peace of mind that their recharge space is awaiting them.
7) Where possible it is preferred that the space be protected from extreme heat and cold.
8) Mobile coverage is good to have as the owners can monitor charging remotely over 3G or GPRS
9) Security – If the garage can be closed this is better for protecting the sockets, cables and cars.
Please let us know if your hotel has a charge point and we will make sure all the users are aware of this for their trip planning.